Skip to content

International Students

A Korean woman sitting on a field and smiling with other international students
We’re proud to have international students join the Beal College family; we’ll go the extra mile to make you feel at home

Applying for Student Visas

As an international student studying at Beal College, you may be issued the F-1 Visa or M-1 Visa. If you have questions or need assistance, contact our Registrar at 207.307.3900 or email [email protected].

NOTE:  Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S. but must have a passport. A student should present the passport, Form I-20 A-B (PDF), and financial documentation at the Canadian/U.S. border.

The F-1 Visa Application Process

  1. Meet the admissions requirements for the program you are enrolling in and then be accepted to the College
  2. Receive I-20 form and pay SEVIS fee.
  3. Complete the Visa Application (form DS-160).
  4. Schedule appointment and prepare required documents.
  5. F-1 Visa Approved and mailed to student.

F-1 Visa

The F-1 Visa is required for international students enrolled in any degree program at Beal College. If you have an F-1 student visa and are enrolled in these programs, you may:

  • Accept part-time employment off campus after nine months of full-time study with authorization from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) via the application process (time worked will be deducted from post-completion employment); and
  • Accept full-time employment for up to 12 months after completion of studies – with authorization from the DHS via the application process, which takes approximately three months.

The above employment opportunities require a Social Security Number. This application process takes 10–20 days, with authorization from the school official (Robin Tardiff, Career Services) .

Applying for the F-1 student visa may vary depending on the U.S. embassy or consulate you are dealing with. You will be required to pay a nonrefundable visa application fee. There is an online visa application available, which allows you to complete and print Form DS-160 to take to your F-1 visa interview. You can schedule your F-1 visa interview with either the U.S. embassy or consulate. An F-1 student visa for the United States can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your college start date. You will only be able to enter the U.S. with an F-1 visa 30 days before your start date.

M-1 Visa

The M-1 Visa is required for students enrolling in one of the certificate programs at Beal College (Addiction Counseling, Medical Assisting or Welding Technology). The M-1 visa does not allow students to work in the United States during their education, and is not acceptable for employment in the U.S. following graduation. Students may apply for employment authorization after completion of studies based on one month of employment for every four months of study.

When putting together your application for your student visa, be sure you have reviewed Beal’s admissions process and that you have all the required documents, which include:

  • Form I-20 A-B
  • A valid passport
  • Financial information
  • Letter of admission from Beal College

Student Visas and Travel Plans

You should not make final travel plans until you have your visa approved. Also, please note that you are responsible for being familiar with immigration and visa laws. Beal staff will provide assistance and advisement where possible, but ultimately, you are responsible for knowing and complying with the laws of the United States, your home country, and the laws of the countries to which you will travel as a Beal student. This includes nonimmigrant F-1 and M-1 visa regulations.